NONPROFITS MAKING AN IMPACT
These four organizations have shown notable achievement in reconnecting youth, and have established track records of success for this cohort. Selected for their national reach and diversity of approaches, two are focused on highly vulnerable subgroups: Youth Villages concentrates on those aging out of the foster system while the Center for Employment Opportunities services formerly incarcerated youth. YouthBuild and Year Up are focused on connecting young adults to education and employment.
- Youth Villages/YVLifeSet – helps youth aging out of foster care learn the skills they need to live an independent and successful life.
- Center for Employment Opportunities– provides formerly incarcerated individuals with short-term employment and connects them to coaching and full time job opportunities.
- YouthBuild Philadelphia – gives high school dropouts a second chance at a diploma, and helps them move towards postsecondary education or full time employment.
- Year Up– moves low income young adults towards postsecondary education or employment by providing six months of skills education and a six-month corporate internship.
- Grads of Life– a public awareness campaign persuades businesses to hire nontraditional candidates.
INNOVATIVE NONPROFIT WITH PROMISING RESULTS
- Goodwill Excel Centers – a newer, innovative effort that builds on the success of Goodwill to support poor, rural young parents.