About the Center
The Center for High Impact Philanthropy is a trusted source of knowledge and education to help donors around the world do more good. Founded as a collaboration between the School of Social Policy & Practice and alumni of the Wharton School, it is the premier university-based center focused on philanthropy for social impact.
Applied Research Analysts
The Center for High Impact Philanthropy is hiring three full-time Applied Research Analysts, who will contribute to our ongoing projects: Strengthening Democracy; Mental Health and Addiction; Philanthropic Staffing Models. This role requires a Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The ideal candidates are early career professionals who show a strong interest in honing their ability to conduct social impact analysis, and who are committed to strengthening the philanthropic and social sector. They will be responsible for:
- Conducting reviews of academic and grey literature within issue area
- Evaluating interventions for potential for philanthropic impact
- Analyzing the cost-per-impact of various options for action
- Conducting site visits and interviews to understand the operational details of effective and promising programs within issue area (may involve travel)
- Working with senior analysts, directors, advisors and others to synthesize applied research findings into draft final recommendations
- Supervising student interns and research assistants in providing preliminary inputs into key projects
Ideal candidates will have outstanding written and verbal communication skills, knowledge of organizational design and workforce strategy, and be able to engage with experts and to translate research in a variety of formats (e.g. Powerpoint presentation, Excel spreadsheet, 1-page memo, 20-page report). Analysts should be detail-oriented, familiar with qualitative research methodology, and comfortable with adapting academic frameworks to real-world problems.
Interested applicants should apply through this link: https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/39792
Student Research Assistants
Each semester, the Center for High Impact Philanthropy recruits for student research assistants to assist our social impact fellows and senior team members in creation of donor guidance and educational programs, including but not limited to:
- Research, fact-finding, and literature reviews
- Compiling background information about effective programs and their evidence base
- Corresponding with staff of nonprofits to request data and vet guidance
- Provide support for Center events and educational programs (e.g. drafting and preparing materials, logistical support)
- Contribute to Center’s ongoing PR, marketing, and donor engagement efforts
Ideal candidates bring outstanding research and writing ability; strong quantitative analytical skills; experience with Microsoft Office products; and comfort working in a professional office setting. Projects we are currently working on include: Mental Health and Addiction, Strengthening Democracy, and Philanthropic Staffing Models. Students work a minimum of 10 hours/week, up to 20 hours or more if their program allows. Pay is $12-$20/hour, commensurate with experience. This position is work-study eligible for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Interested applicants should submit a resume/CV, a brief cover letter, and two references (at least one from a work/research supervisor) to impactSRA@sp2.upenn.edu.