Research Director, Adjunct Faculty
Carol A. McLaughlin is the research director and founding team member at the Center for High Impact Philanthropy, as well as Adjunct Faculty of the School of Social Policy & Practice (SP2) in the University of Pennsylvania. She is a public health specialist and primary care/infectious disease physician with experience in research, community engagement, and program implementation in the U.S. and the developing world.
She has been involved with a diverse variety of health projects including community-based interventions in Latin America, clinical programs in Thailand and Vietnam, public health work addressing resistance in cholera and malaria, and as an HIV physician through the Penn Program in Botswana and at the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs clinic.
After dual primary care residency training in internal medicine and pediatrics through the Harvard Combined Program, Carol completed a fellowship in infectious disease at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and earned a Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene from the Gorgas Memorial Institute in Peru. She obtained additional training in epidemiology and community-based research through a Master in Clinical Epidemiology degree program at the University of Pennsylvania.
She received MD and MPH degrees from the Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, and School of Public Health, respectively. She graduated Magna Cum Laude from Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, with a BA in Public and International Policy.
Additional Penn affiliations:
- Instructor, Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine
- Attending physician, HIV/Infectious Disease Clinic, Philadelphia VA Medical Center.
- Associate fellow, Center for Public Health Initiatives
- Faculty fellow, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
FOLLOW US ON
- (Video) Givology 101: The Study of Effective Philanthropic Giving
- Shifting Towards Impact: The metrics conversation continues…
- Learning About High Impact Philanthropy: From Public Education to Donor Education
- I’m Not Rockefeller: 33 High Net Worth Philanthropists Discuss Their Approach to Giving
- Videos of Kat Rosqueta on BigThink
- What is High Impact Philanthropy? (April 2007)
- High Impact Philanthropy: How Donors, Boards, and Nonprofit Organizations Can Transform Communities